booting ubuntu without a monitor

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 01:29:05 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:55 PM, kyle.smith <kyle.smith at inforonics.com> wrote:

> Brian I'm confused by your answer.  Your instructions are telling him
> how to stop gdm at boot.  He's asking about making a system remotely
> accessible via VNC.

Then I didn't do a very good job explaining myself did I :-)

He seem to be indicating he couldn't get past the 'xfix' screens on bootup.
The only way he'd see those screens is if he had a monitor attached right?
I was thinking he hadn't gotten past that to be worried about the
vncserver part.
Once the box is up and running (without gdm - headless it's pointless)
he can go ahead and run vncserver via ssh or whatever.

I didn't think he was seeing xfix messages in a VNC session - perhaps
I'm way off base here.

Hopefully between our various responses he'll get what he needs or let us know.

Brian

--
All you need to know about Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty
-> gconftool -s --type bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false