Install Problems

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 01:21:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Kipton Moravec <kip at kdream.com> wrote:
> I try the normal install and I get an error about BIOS age (1998) fails
> cutoff (2000) acpi=force is required to enable ACPI.

That's a red herring.  It doesn't want to do ACPI because it thinks
your BIOS is likely too old.
It's likely right.  Ignore it, and it will do the right thing.
Forcing it to use ACPI anyway might cause issues.

With 256 meg of ram, you are probably better to install via the
Alternate CD and accept a sluggish (but useable) Ubuntu, or consider
Xubuntu or similar.

I'm finding 384Meg seems to be about the lower limit for most people's patience.

Brian

--
All you need to know about Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty
-> gconftool -s --type bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false