Natural language translation

Sundar Nagarajan sundar.personal at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 23:40:01 UTC 2009

Avraham Hanadari wrote:
>> My computer activity involves working in several languages. Babylon has
>> been an essential tool in my Windows office for several years. I have
>> been looking for a similar tool in Ubuntu (9.04)
>

> Perhaps I presented my problem in a convoluted manner.
>
> QStarDict is currently on board. It does not find the dictionaries which
> I have downloaded.
>
> Where should they be for QStarDict to find them? What is a good source
> for bilingual dictionaries that QStarDict will recognize?

I don't have QStardict, but I did a quick check on manpages.ubuntu.com
(a marvelous resource, by the way to check man pages for packages you do
not have installed). This is from the the Intrepid (8.10) version:

	Dictionaries for StarDict plugin are in StarDict format and by
	default must be placed into /usr/share/stardict/dic or
	~/.stardict/dic directories.
	A dictionary must consist of three files:

	         - .dict[.dz] file - main dictionary file
	         - .idx - index file
	         - .ifo - description file

	These files must be placed together in one directory.

You can see the man page here:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/intrepid/man1/qstardict.1.html

Sundar.