booting ubuntu without a monitor

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 02:46:26 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:04 PM, Councill, David
<dcouncill at msubillings.edu> wrote:
> I am trying to set up a remote Linux computer, no monitor, accessible by
> vnc.
>  Any suggestions? I hate to go back to XP
> but I've already spent a number of hours trying to get this to work and
> I can have XP on the same computer doing what I need it to do in about
> an hour (security wise I like the idea of a non-windows computer doing
> monitoring in an AD domain).

Now now, no need to drag the 'I can do this in Windows' troll to get
an answer here.

Your real problem is you are starting X on boot up, which you just
don't need or want.
In Debian and Ubuntu that translates into you want to stop the 'gdm'
service and keep it from starting automatically.   I'd do it this way
(there are others)

in a terminal - 'sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install
sysvconfig ; sudo sysvconfig'
and use the menus to disable gdm

'sudo service gdm stop'

reboot to prove it works && profit.

Extra info

- Had you installed from the server or minimal cd's you could have
chosen to not install X at all...
- if you need X and have a monitor on it, then you can simply type
'startx' after logging in and you'll get your GUI
- If you generated an Xorg.conf with the monitor attached you X
wouldn't overwrite that, so it would boot up fine...
- There's an ignore edid option in there somewhere that would likely
also do what you need

Brian

--
All you need to know about Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty
 gconftool -s --type bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false