Skype not working in 9.04 Solved

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 17:35:59 UTC 2009

Pastor JW wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 April 2009 7:19:40 am H.S. wrote:
>
>> Pastor JW wrote:
>>
>>>  8.10 was non usable as KDE couldn't do anything we needed to do,
>>>
>> For instance? I use Hardy and switch between KDE and Gnome. I haven't
>> seen any problems in my usage. There was an audio problem with
>> pulseaudio, but removing pulseaudio (or not using it) fixed that. Other
>> than that, I would like to know what else is wrong.
>>

> Heron is 8.04, ...it was like I said 8.10 that killed KDE  so we did not
> upgrade because of it.  We are still using 8.04 as well because KDE works
> well as does Skype.  Other things we use alot are Open Office, K3b, and
> LinDVD.
>

>>> it seems 9.04 is broken somewhere for Skype doesn't work,  perhaps we'll
>>> have
>>>
>> I have reports from some users that it does. As David posted earlier, he
>> got it working by installing the static version from Medibuntu repos.
>> Does that not work for you?
>>

> Don't know, we were planning to upgrade one of the laptops to Jackalope but
> without Skype the upgrade wasn't appealing.  We'ld have to spend an hour or
> so reinstalling the 8.04 backup and we don't have the time.  That is why we
> were appreciative of the heads up warning.

    I am on my laptop which has a fully updated Gnome Jaunty 9.04 and I
went to the Skype web page and d/l the .deb version they recommended. I
installed the .deb and then set it up with a name and password just like
mine on the Hardy. It came up and is working just fine on 9.04 Ubuntu.
There is no problem of any sort. If it doesn't work it is a KDE problem.

Karl