9.04 / Boinc user question

R Kimber richardkimber at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 28 14:31:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 15:08:32 +0100
Steve Flynn wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 2:40 PM, R Kimber
> <richardkimber at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > On my PC, prior to the upgrade, using Boinc added roughly 10
> > degrees C to the CPU temperatures.  Since the upgrade, Boinc adds
> > about 22 degrees C.
>
> How are you measuring the temperature increase? From an external temp
> probe, the BIOS readings or some lmsensors-like code?

lmsensors via gkrellm

> The change in readings could be due to several things: the way in
> which temps are calculated within your sensors code, the limits set
> for the power-savings/fan speed, increased performance in the
> scheduling system within the kernel meaning the BOINC code is getting
> more cpu cycles, changes in the default nice values, lower system
> workload meaning more time in user-space, etc.

Hmmnn. but why should it have changed?  Has lmsensors or something else
changed?

> To correct it you could always renice BOINC down to the nicest setting
> if it's not already there, adjust the temps at which your fans
> increase/decrease in speed, increase your cooling capacity, etc.

Nice is 19.  I'm a bit resistant to messing with the fans when I don't
understand why there has been this sudden jump.  Maybe there's a bug
somewhere that wasn't in an app used in 8.04.  If so, I'm not sure
changing my settings is the right way to go.

> At the end of the day however, if your machine is not overheating is
> it worth messing around? I presume you're just curious and don't have
> an overheating issue.

Well, I'm keen to pre-empt one.  The weather is quite cool at the
moment (i.e. if it's 52 when it's cool, what will the temperature get
to when/if we get any really decent weather?). And any way, I always
thought (perhaps incorrectly) that the lower a CPU runs at, the better
it's general health, i.e. running at 38 is just better than running at
52.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber