turn off network manager in Ubuntu

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 28 13:39:54 UTC 2009

hi,
Am Montag, den 27.04.2009, 14:17 -0500 schrieb Steven Susbauer:
> There is nothing in /etc/dbus-1/event.d on my system (Jaunty). To
> disable NetworkManager I run "sudo update-rc.d -f NetworkManager
> remove", which removes it from the init scripts and it won't start
> automatically, adding it back again uses the same command with different
> options. If you want to start it manually you run "sudo
> /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start".
just a little heads up, if you do the above the next security upgrade
will re-enable it, never use update-rc.d if not from a package
maintenance script ...

from "man update-rc.d":
Please note that this program was designed for use in package maintainer
scripts and, accordingly, has only the very limited functionality
required by such scripts.  System administrators are not encouraged to
use  update-rc.d  to  manage  runlevels. They should edit the links
directly or use runlevel editors such as sysv-rc-conf and bum instead.

if the links are removed this will not be respected, the proper way to
disable something is:
sudo mv /etc/rc2.d/SXX<appname> /etc/rc2.d/KXX<appname>

(where appanme is the service you want to disable and XX is the sequence
number)

if a K (kill) link exists in the runlevel dir, maintainer scripts of
packages wont touch the link, if *no* link exists (i.e. if you use the
remove option of update-rc.d) next time the maintainer script is
executed (i.e. during a security update of the package), the scripts
will automatically restore the default settings.

ciao
	oli