Dual Monitor: How to Get Full Resolution

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Tue Apr 28 13:14:36 UTC 2009

Praveen Venkatachari wrote:
> This worked for me.
> xrandr --output VGA --mode <your resolution>
> eg:
> xrandr --output VGA --mode 1680x1050
>
> All you need to do is create a file ~/.xprofile with the above line.

I was heading down that road when xrandr gave an error that made me
realize that the dimensions in /etc/X11/xorg.conf needed to be
changed--and then I didn't seem to need the xrandr. I have since
rebooted and System->Preferences->Display still works...

Thanks for confirming with your example that xrandr is a soft setting
that is lost with rebooting. Also, thanks for reminding me that
~/.xprofile is a way to run stuff on starting graphics. (I guess that
xrandx might make interactive use of the Display control panel unnecessary.)

-kb