Configuring Evolution for Gmail

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 12:01:38 UTC 2009

Gary Herbert wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-04-26 at 22:15 -0500, Mark Nichols wrote:
>
>> All -
>>
>> I've set up Evolution to read my Gmail account via IMAP. Everything is
>> working swimmingly, except I have multiple copies of some folders.
>>
>> Using the GMail Labs add-on that allows one to select which labels
>> (Gmail's idea of folders) are downloaded to my machine I have eliminated
>> most of the folders from appearing. However, I still have Drafts, Junk,
>> Sent, and Trash.
>>
>> The problem is that I have three Junk folders ("Junk" (with a glyhp I
>> can't make out for an icon), "Junk" (with a folder glyhp icon), and
>> "Junk E-mail" (also with a folder icon).
>>
>> I have "Sent" and "Sent items", and I have "Trash" (folder icon) and
>> "Trash" (trash can icon).
>>
>> My hope is that some of these can be eliminate either by just deleting
>> them, or by some configuration inside preferences that I haven't
>> discovered yet.
>>
>> Any advice would be appreciated,
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>>

> Mark,
>
> I have the same problem too... It is intermittent... I can close
> Evolution and open it again and all the extra (sometimes up to 20)
> folders go away... I still have to many trash and junk and sent... Only
> way I get rid of trash and junk is manually highlighting them and
> deleting...I guess I could IMAP Thunderbird as a last resort...
>
> Gary

    Do not think Thunderbird is not effected! I have 3 out of 10 folders
get dual messages in them. I thought it might be the thunderbird mail
sorting file but they are all the same about.

    So getting two messages is an artifact of IMAP to Google. Thinking
back I got some double messages using POP with Google.

Karl