VirualBox on Hardy

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 03:03:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:48 PM, David Lemcoe <forum at lemcoe.com> wrote:
> Maybe try chmoding the mountpoint of the partition.
>
> On 4/27/09, Willis Taylor <th1bill at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> I have installed virtualbox and created the virtual machine WinXP.  When
>> i try to start it to put Windows there I receive the following message.
>> I'm running Ubuntu Hardy and I have, using the GUI given myself and root
>> permission to use the vbox and now I'm lost.
>>
>> Failed to start the virtual machine WinXP.
>>
>> Cannot open host device '/dev/sdb' for read/write access. Check the
>> permissions of that device ('/bin/ls -l /dev/sdb'): Most probably you
>> need to be member of the device group. Make sure that you logout/login
>> after changing the group settings of the current user
>> (VERR_ACCESS_DENIED).
>>
>> Unknown error creating VM (VERR_ACCESS_DENIED).

I guess something went wrong with your install. In a graphical
environment, from your user account, you just double click the
virtualbox  .deb (2.2.0 available from Sun) and dpkg takes care of
everything, setting vbox group, etc., no chmod needed.

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Lat.:  23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W