Installing Ubuntu

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 02:43:40 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 9:36 PM, Sean or Mona <ugly at frightenstein.com> wrote:

> [...]

Providing you are not sharing RAM with an onboard video, it is
perfectly possible to run Ubuntu on a 256 Meg Ram PC. One of my first
installs, a couple of years ago, was done on a RAM this size. It will
have a sluggish performance since will use a lot of swap, but will
work. The alternate CD is recommended for such installation.

If you increase the RAM size just a bit, to 384 or 512, you'll end up
with a very usable system.

Talking about hardware and money, just for the record: at Feb 04 2009
Karl was still using an ancient, slow, outdated uni-processed 1.8 Ghz
Sempron. So, choices are not always a matter of money, sometimes
they're a matter of taste.

"Re: Frequency scaling survey

Here is my really slow AMD cpu:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'model name'
model name    : AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3000+

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ cat
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
1800000 1000000

[]

Karl"

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Lat.:  23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W