to Karl

Amedee Van Gasse (ubuntu) amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Mon Apr 27 20:41:44 UTC 2009

Chris Jones schreef:
>> Hi,
>
>> Have you tried that yourself? I just did. Not with a removable device,
>> but with an ssh (sftp) connection like Karl described. It didn't work.
>>
>> That is logical, because and ssh connection is not mounted. Something
>> that is not mounted, cannot be unmounted.

There is no mount, there is a network protocol somewhere inside the
"gnome magic".
Simply put, sftp://amedee@amedee.be/ is *not* a mount point, because it
does not start with a /

> Actually there is something unmount. mount is a very flexible command
> under linux and can apply to a wide variety of things, some are
> hardware (like disks) but others are not. for instance it is perfectly
> possible to mount an ISO file as a file system. Similarly you can
> mount a remote file system using sshfs (which may well be what is used
> underneath here). Look up sshfs and fuse if you want more details.
>
> Once you are connected to a remote share via sshfs, try running
> 'mount' at the command line to list what is currently mounted.
>
> cheers Chris

Already did that yesterday. But because you are sceptical, I'll amuse you.

amedee at saruman [scr:1] { ~/download }$ mount
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
/dev/sdc1 on /boot type ext2 (rw,noatime)
/dev/mapper/system-home on /home type ext3 (rw,relatime)
/dev/mapper/system-vm on /mnt/vm type ext4 (rw,relatime)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/amedee/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
(rw,nosuid,nodev,user=amedee)

There. You see? No sshfs filesystem is mounted.
I think that you are confused with sshfs-fuse (Filesystem in UserSpace).
That is something completely different. Sshfs-fuse was not yet installed
on my system. Just for you I will install it.

amedee at saruman [scr:1] { ~/download }$ ls /mnt
gmail  iso  usb  vm
amedee at saruman [scr:1] { ~/download }$ sudo mkdir -p /mnt/ssh
amedee at saruman [scr:1] { ~/download }$ ls -al /mnt
totaal 28
drwxr-xr-x  7 root   root   4096 2009-04-27 22:32 .
drwxr-xr-x 21 root   root   4096 2009-04-17 22:48 ..
drwxrwxrwx  2 amedee amedee 4096 2009-04-19 17:30 gmail
drwxr-xr-x  2 root   root   4096 2009-04-18 22:09 iso
drwxr-xr-x  2 root   root   4096 2009-04-27 22:32 ssh
drwxr-xr-x  2 root   root   4096 2009-04-25 11:09 usb
drwxr-xr-x  4 root   root   4096 2009-04-13 15:19 vm
amedee at saruman [scr:1] { ~/download }$ sudo aptitude install sshfs
Pakketlijsten worden ingelezen... Klaar
Boom van vereisten wordt opgebouwd
De status informatie wordt gelezen... Klaar
Uitgebreide statusinformatie aan het lezen
Initialiseren van pakketstatussen... Klaar
Schrijven van uitgebreide statusinformatie... Klaar
De volgende NIEUWE pakketten zullen worden geïnstalleerd:
  sshfs
0 pakketten opgewaardeerd, 1 nieuwe geïnstalleerd, 0 te verwijderen en 0
niet opwaarderen.
Heb 40,1kB archieven nodig. Na uitpakken zal 152kB worden gebruikt.
Schrijven van uitgebreide statusinformatie... Klaar
Haal:1 http://localhost jaunty/main sshfs 2.1-1 [40,1kB]
40,1kB opgehaald in 21s (1829B/s)
Selecteren van voorheen niet geselecteerd pakket sshfs.
(Database inlezen ... 249889 bestanden en mappen geïnstalleerd.)
Uitpakken van sshfs (uit .../archives/sshfs_2.1-1_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Instellen van sshfs (2.1-1) ...
Pakketlijsten worden ingelezen... Klaar
Boom van vereisten wordt opgebouwd
De status informatie wordt gelezen... Klaar
Uitgebreide statusinformatie aan het lezen
Initialiseren van pakketstatussen... Klaar
Schrijven van uitgebreide statusinformatie... Klaar

amedee at saruman [scr:1] { ~/download }$ sudo sshfs amedee at amedee.be:/
/mnt/ssh/
amedee at saruman [scr:1] { ~/download }$ sudo ls /mnt/ssh
backup	bin  boot  dev	etc  home  initrd  lib	lib64  lost+found  media
mnt  nonexistent  opt  proc  root  sbin  selinux  srv  sys  tmp  usr	var
amedee at saruman [scr:1] { ~/download }$ sudo cat /mnt/ssh/etc/issue
Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 \n \l

Do you see? This proves that I'm right. And I hate being right, or
rather telling other people that they are wrong. It means that there is
no longer a new learning experience for me.

Kind regards,

--
Amedee