turn off network manager in Ubuntu

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Mon Apr 27 18:59:52 UTC 2009

Chris Jones wrote:
> On 27 Apr 2009, at 7:16PM, Rashkae wrote:
>
>> hong zhang wrote:
>>> Thanks for info. But may I just disable it instead remove it?
>> Yes, but it's neither pretty nor supported
>>
>> Look in /etc/dbus-1/event.d where you will find the network manager
>> startup scripts.  Move them somewhere else.
>
> As you say this is ugly, and if you ever change your mind and want to
> re-enable NM, you will need to remember precisely how you crippled it...
>
> Why not just complete remove it if you don't want it ? Seems the
> cleanest solution, and if you ever change your mind it is just an apt-
> get install away ...

Someone might be in a situation where they may need to re-enable NM
without a working network connection.. (go figure).. I am,, really,
appalled that a method to tame/control/enable/disable NM does not yet
exist in the GUI (and in fact, instead, all GUI network configuration
has been moved into NM, and while I've not tested Jaunty yet,
historically, it's been really bad at it.)