Virtual memory issues in Jaunty

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Apr 27 13:17:35 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 03:47:55PM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> It seems that Compiz in Jaunty has a memory leak and fills up all my
> system memory (2 GB RAM + 3 GB swap) in under five days.  What is more
> surprising to me (and the reason I didn't realize I was running out of
> memory), was that the kernel did not free the 1 GB of memory used by the
> page cache.  Why?

I'm using the intel video driver with UXA.  The Compiz problem might be
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/328232

Is the memory used by the intel driver kernel memory manager (GEM)
attributed to the page cache perhaps?

$ cat /proc/dri/0/gem_objects
22615 objects
1063493632 object bytes
4 pinned
4395008 pin bytes
230854656 gtt bytes
260575232 gtt total

That's 1 GB of objects, which seems to match the lower limit of my page
cache size pretty well.  (Now that I've killed Compiz, my page cache
grew up to 1.3 GB).

Marius Gedminas
--
Never be afraid to tell the world who you are.
                -- Anonymous