Can't log in to Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty

Mon Apr 27 11:38:43 UTC 2009

Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> Dave M G wrote:
>> Any advice appreciated.
>
> Ctrl+F2 to switch to console mode.
> Then login
> Then "startx"
>
> The last line might be "startxfce" if you would have installed Xubuntu, I
> dont really know what to exactly launch for GNOME.

I've always used plain 'startx' irrespective of window manager.

startx is just a prettier way than xinit of starting X Windows, inside
of which runs your display manager of choice (gdm, kdm or xdm normally
for gnome,  kde and other respectively), and these then launch your
window manager or desktop environment (Gnome, KDE, XFCE etc.).

At the point where you're starting X, it doesn't care which window
manager you're going to end up using.

So, whatever window manager or display manager you use 'startx' should
be sufficient to start X11 with your configuration.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)