Edubuntu?

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Mon Apr 27 02:38:39 UTC 2009

> [snipped what has gone before]

Unfortunately rather relevant to the upcoming flames from the
flame-thrower...now quit running and stand still!
> I first said:
>
>>> My understanding is that there is no separate CD.  You install
>>> Ubuntu, then install Edubuntu-desktop or Edubuntu-desktop-KDE.
>>>

> Christopher replied:
>

>> You understood wrong or know nothing much about Edubuntu. A simple
>> visit to www.edubuntu.org would have given you a link to
>> http://www.edubuntu.org/Download which should have sufficed to inform
>> you of the existence of the Edubuntu Addon CD.
>>

> From the download link referenced:
> ------------------------------
> "Start by downloading and installing Ubuntu 9.04, then you may install
> the Edubuntu educational layer one of the following ways:"
> ------------------------------
>
> (that's the part where I meant that you needed to install Ubuntu)
>
> ------------------------------
>     * Download the Ubuntu 9.04 Educational Addon .iso file and burn it
> to a CD. After inserting the CD-ROM, a menu will popup and you'll be
> able to see and install the various educational packages.
>     * For users with a fast Internet connection it is possible to
> instead just go to "Add/Remove..." in the Applications menu and select
> educational software from the Education and Games categories.
> -------------------------------
>
> (That's the part where I think that you don't get to order a CD, merely
> download one.  Yes, you can certainly burn a CD for use on different
> machines.  I don't think you can order one, though, which was my point.)

Please go back to my post and point out where i said anything about
ordering a CD. How, may I ask, does '

My understanding is that there is no separate CD' even hint that you only meant that you cannot order one as you are now asserting?

>> Maybe I should have said do a 'apt-cache search edubuntu' instead.
>> Perhaps you would have been more willing to try that than run a gui
>> app. Or are you trying to pick a fight? /me tosses Cybe a flame
>> thrower and dons on suit of asbestos armour.
>>

> Not at all, I think I just made a mistake in understanding what was in
> question.  Yes, Edubuntu is just a group of software packages added to
> regular Ubuntu.  Yes, there is a CD to add to regular Ubuntu to achieve
> Edubuntu.  There's also a download to do the same thing.  No, there
> isn't an orderable CD ala Ubuntu orderable disks so that one can install
> Edubuntu straight away.
>
> Personally, I think that is a mistake and should be rectified but
> that's just my own opinion.

No problem but who mentioned an orderable CD? /me polishes melamine
shield with milk from China.