[Jaunty] Heads Up upgrade disables Wicd

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 26 22:24:43 UTC 2009

Just upgraded my test machine from Intrepid to Jaunty (9.10) using the
Alternate CD. In order to conserve my DSL bandwidth I elected to not
have the upgrade go out and get updates from the internet, but instead
install only from the CD. That all went pretty well with the exeption
that when I rebooted I found no network. wicd was not working - at all.

The only option that I had was to install 'sudo apt-get remove wicd' and
install network-manager from the CD directly. Once I got my network
connection back (yest I know I could have enabled from the CLI), I then
did my updates & reinstalled wicd. That's not an issue if you also have
a wired connection, but if you only have a wireless connection, I
recommend temporarily reinstalling network-manager first, making sure it
works, and then upgrading. Either that or allowing the internet updates
during the upgrade... perhaps that will keep wicd in place?