Newbie still confused about potential for virus problems on Ubuntu

Amedee Van Gasse (ubuntu) amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Sun Apr 26 17:30:24 UTC 2009

wirechief schreef:
> tell that to the people who make clamav...

I don't need to. They know what they are doing, why they are doing it,
and who their intended audience is. They are doing an excellent job. So
why would I tell the ClamAV team anything except, thank you for a great
piece of software?

I don't use an operating system that is vulnerable for the things that
ClamAV scans, but if I did, I wouldn't hesitate to use it on my mail
gateway.

About ClamAV

Clam AntiVirus is an open source (GPL) anti-virus toolkit for UNIX,
designed especially for e-mail scanning on mail gateways. It provides a
number of utilities including a flexible and scalable multi-threaded
daemon, a command line scanner and advanced tool for automatic database
updates. The core of the package is an anti-virus engine available in a
form of shared library.

Here is a list of the main features:

    * command-line scanner
    * fast, multi-threaded daemon with support for on-access scanning
    * milter interface for sendmail
    * advanced database updater with support for scripted updates and
digital signatures
    * virus scanner C library
    * on-access scanning (Linux® and FreeBSD®)
    * virus database updated multiple times per day (see home page for
total number of signatures)
    * built-in support for various archive formats, including Zip, RAR,
Tar, Gzip, Bzip2, OLE2, Cabinet, CHM, BinHex, SIS and others
    * built-in support for almost all mail file formats
    * built-in support for ELF executables and Portable Executable files
compressed with UPX, FSG, Petite, NsPack, wwpack32, MEW, Upack and
obfuscated with SUE, Y0da Cryptor and others
    * built-in support for popular document formats including MS Office
and MacOffice files, HTML, RTF and PDF

Read the documentation for more details.