Ubuntu Install for RS6000-B50 2U Rack Mount Server.

Victor Padro vpadro at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 18:40:54 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Preston Kutzner <shizzlecash at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2009, at 11:39 AM, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Nyle Davis <davisoft at mail.com> wrote:
> >> Trying install of 8.04 on RS6000-B50 2U Rack Mount server.  Opened
> >> forum
> >> thread at:
> > That is quite an ancient hardware with 32 bit 604 model power CPUs.
> > Good luck with it.
> > You'd be more successful with Debian's PowerPC port or FreeBSD.
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/
> > ch02s01.html.en#id2777405
> > http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/
> >
> > I looked at a couple of Ubuntu mirrors and couldn't spot the PowerPC
> > version and this is why: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPC
> >
> > To put it bluntly, PowerPC is not supported by Canonical.
>

> While PowerPC isn't officially supported by Canonical anymore, you can
> still find Ubuntu ported to the PowerPC architecture.  Note that the
> PPC Ubuntu port is *community supported*, so you won't get any
> official help from Canonical.  However, I am using the distro on a G4
> cube I have here at home.  You can find the PPC versions at:
>
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases
>
> Pick the release you want to install and you'll find a page with links
> to download ISO images.  For some reason, the 9.04 port isn't
> available anymore.  It for a couple of days after Jaunty was
> officially released, but it doesn't look like it is anymore.  Note
> that only server and alternate install ISOs are generally available
> for unofficial ports.
> --
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Dapper Drake) server(1) version is still supported until
June 2011 and it has a PowerPC(2) release also.

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu#Releases
(2) http://ftp.wayne.edu/linux_distributions/ubuntu/6.06.2/

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente
servidas"