Ubuntu Install for RS6000-B50 2U Rack Mount Server.

Preston Kutzner shizzlecash at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 17:56:17 UTC 2009

On Apr 25, 2009, at 11:39 AM, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Nyle Davis <davisoft at mail.com> wrote:
>> Trying install of 8.04 on RS6000-B50 2U Rack Mount server.  Opened
>> forum
>> thread at:
> That is quite an ancient hardware with 32 bit 604 model power CPUs.
> Good luck with it.
> You'd be more successful with Debian's PowerPC port or FreeBSD.
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/
> ch02s01.html.en#id2777405
> http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/
>
> I looked at a couple of Ubuntu mirrors and couldn't spot the PowerPC
> version and this is why: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPC
>
> To put it bluntly, PowerPC is not supported by Canonical.

While PowerPC isn't officially supported by Canonical anymore, you can
still find Ubuntu ported to the PowerPC architecture.  Note that the
PPC Ubuntu port is *community supported*, so you won't get any
official help from Canonical.  However, I am using the distro on a G4
cube I have here at home.  You can find the PPC versions at:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases

Pick the release you want to install and you'll find a page with links
to download ISO images.  For some reason, the 9.04 port isn't
available anymore.  It for a couple of days after Jaunty was
officially released, but it doesn't look like it is anymore.  Note
that only server and alternate install ISOs are generally available
for unofficial ports.
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?