Ubuntu 9.04 Wireless Connection in KDE

Rob robfleet at ix.netcom.com
Sat Apr 25 15:04:29 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 09:58 -0500, Roy Smith wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> > Rob wrote:
> >
> >> Greetings all,
> >>
> >> I successfully upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04 via the network yesterday and am
> >> very happy with it so far with the following exception.
> >>
> >> I can wirelessly connect to my router (located on another floor in my
> >> house) with no problems when using either Gnome or XFCE but I cannot get
> >> a connection when using KDE.  I have tweaked everything I can find to
> >> get a connection in KDE but so far, no success.  Has anyone else
> >> experienced this and if so, have you found a fix?  Don't know why the
> >> other two would work but KDE will not.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Rob
> >>

> >     Another reason not to run KDE. Can you still click on the two
> > computers in the upper right margin like I do on Gnome? If so do you see
> > your WiFi signal listed there?
> >

> Just to post a correction here... in the default set up for KDE, the
> panel is at the bottom of the screen only.  So his network manager would
> be in the lower right corner....that is unless he's changed it.

I haven't changed it.  However, all of a sudden wireless is working in
KDE.  I did nothing.  Must be one of those passing quirks.  I didn't
even "get out of the car" (reboot), though I have been dwelling in both
Gnome and XFCE since I stopped trying with KDE.  Now I'm running KDE
again and wireless is working.

Thanks for all the help and comments...

Rob