Lightscribe help

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 14:13:56 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Willis Taylor <th1bill at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Please read before biting my head off.  I used the update manager in
> System>Admin. to upgrade my computer from 8.10 to 9.04 and killed the
> machine.  I have installed Hardy, 8.04 and now need my LaCie 4L label
> burner and Simple Labeler put back into place.  When I try to install
> using gdebie for a DEB file and when I try to download the rar to
> convert with alien I receive the following message.  In the case of a
> deb file the extension changes of course.
>
> Please, some super birght person on the forums has already demonstrated
> his inability to comprehend and told me I an't use a rar file (he never
> heard of alien?) and I am professing ignorance already, I just need a
> little help.  The sample message follows;
>
> /tmp/lightscribe-1.18.4.1-linux-2.6-intel.rpm could not be opened,
> because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the
> association in your preferences.

Now that I'm not trying to type with a Wii remote, let me try this
message again.

You want Light Scribe to work on Hardy - 8.04

You downloaded a deb - from where?
and when you tried to install it using gdebi you got an error - what
was *that* error?

You also downloaded and rpm and double clicked on it, which gave you
an error because Gnome doesn't know what to do with rpm files.  If you
want to convert that rpm to a deb, you need to install alien, start a
terminal, and use the command line to tell alien to convert the rpm to
a deb.

Please let us know the answers to my first two questions.  If there is
a deb, that would be preferred to using alien.  If there isn't, then
say so and we'll help you use alien.

Also, a quick google led me straight to
<http://vitalbodies.wordpress.com/2008/07/14/getting-lightscribe-to-work-in-ubuntu-hardy-heron/>
 -  Perhaps you should read and try that first.

Brian