Installing Ubuntu

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Apr 25 06:20:27 UTC 2009

Pridvi Kandagatla wrote:
> I recently downloaded the iso file of the latest version of Ubuntu to
> install on my laptop. When I put the cd into my laptop, the autoplay
> feature is not working.

You mean the autoplay feature of Windows? Or is it within Ubuntu? If it
is within Windows you should check your Windows settings.

> I am not getting a menu of any sort. I can
> explore the contents of the cd and the autoplay feature is working on
> another computer of mine, which is a desktop. Also, when I try to
> boot from the disk, I am getting an error and I can't boot from the
> CD. What should I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It seems you have at least burnt the CD as an ISO. You might have a
compatibility issue with the CD drive of your laptop and that might as
well be the reason why your autoplay doesn't work. Try to burn the CD
again with the lowest available speed. Or as an alternative, you could
burn the ISO file to a DVD if your laptop supports DVDs. If you have a
CD-RW or DVD±RW medium you can try these.

Another alternative would be the Ubuntu Netbook Remix from a USB stick
if your laptop can boot from USB.

Nils