sshd and ftpd

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Fri Apr 24 22:58:14 UTC 2009

Karl Larsen wrote:
>     This afternoon I decided to get ssh working between my big computer
> and my laptop. I did so and it works fine with a password. I fooled
> around but could not get it to work like ftp.

What does this actually mean?  If you want a ftp-like file transfer
mechanism, use sftp
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSH_File_Transfer_Protocol)

> So I loaded ftpd on both computers and that works just as expected, put,get ect.
>
> I recall that ftp is not as safe as ssh. I do not recall why.

It transfers passwords (and everything else) in plain-text.

> Should I do anything to protect my computers with ftpd running?

No, you should stop using ftpd, since you have no existing (legacy)
reason to use it.

Matt Flaschen