Remote Operation of a Computer

Gilles Gravier gilles at gravier.org
Fri Apr 24 15:47:36 UTC 2009

Hi!

Kipton Moravec wrote:
> I have two Ubuntu Linux Computers one is located about 5 miles away in a
> not easily accessible location.
>
> I am guessing there is a way from one Computer to log into the other
> Computer and have the Gnome Desktop and the whole GUI of the remote
> computer on my local computer.
>
> What is the utility (or utilities) do I have to use to do that?
> Where do I find the documentation?
> What ports do I have to open up in the firewall?
>
> If I do not know what it is called I can't look it up.

It's called "vino"

Launch "vino-preferences" (or System->Preferences->Remote Desktop) to
"Allow users to view" and "Allow users to control" your desktop. Don't
forget to "Require the use of a password".

You can then connect with "vncviewer" to "yourserver:0.0" and you are set.

Note that you have to be logged on the remote machine for a vino session
to be started and to connect to it.

If you don't want the mandatory login on the console, you have to
install, run and configure a "vncserver" on the machine that you want to
connect to. Read up on "vnc".

Gilles.