howto install Ubuntu on a 64bit Sun UltraSPARC 5 ?

Amedee Van Gasse (Ubuntu) amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Fri Apr 24 15:20:53 UTC 2009

On Fri, April 24, 2009 16:59, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Hi!
>

> bvidinli wrote:
>> I have a server that is not amd,
>> 64 bit
>> which cd image should i download ?
>>
>> there are amd64, but my server is not amd ??
>> thanks
> It's named "-amd64" but it's all modern 64 bit platforms. Including
> Intel.
>

> Of course, if you're talking SPARC, that's another story. (You didn't
> say which CPU you were talking about.)

Since we're still talking about 64bit in general, not AMD/Intel specific,
let's talk about SPARC. I'm not yet hijacking. :-)

I have an Sun UltraSPARC 5 since a couple of weeks. Unfortunately without
keyboard or mouse (will have to look on ebay) but at least it has a
standard VGA adapter. Looks like it boots properly. At the moment it is
only collecting dust.

Would it be possible to install Ubuntu on it? Yes of course, but without
keyboard or mouse? Sounds like a challenge... :-)

Or should I just install some (Open)Solaris on it?

--
Amedee