howto install Ubuntu on a 64bit server architecture which is non-amd

Gilles Gravier gilles at gravier.org
Fri Apr 24 15:08:55 UTC 2009

Yep.

Keep in mind, though, that the only interest in using a 64 bit build is
that it lets you manipulate datasets of more than 4GB... If you don't
have that specific need, it will be more of a hassle than a help...

How much RAM does your machine have? More than 4GB?

What's the biggest file that your system will manipulate (in one block)?
More than 4GB?

If not, you will be happier with 32 bit version. (Not all drivers are
available for 64 bit mode - mixing 64 bit and 32 bit code together
doesn't work well (unlike on Solaris) so 64 bit firefox, but 32 bit
plugins will not work well).

Make sure that you REALLY NEED the 64 bit support.

A 32 bit version of Ubuntu will work perfectly well on a 64 bit system
(that's what I use) and might even, in some cases, be faster.

Gilles.

bvidinli wrote:
> it is intel platform, not sparc..
> so i am downloading file with -amd64
> Thanks.
>

> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Gilles Gravier <gilles at gravier.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> bvidinli wrote:
>>
>>> I have a server that is not amd,
>>> 64 bit
>>> which cd image should i download ?
>>>
>>> there are amd64, but my server is not amd
>>> ??
>>> thanks
>>>
>> It's named "-amd64" but it's all modern 64 bit platforms. Including Intel.
>>
>> Of course, if you're talking SPARC, that's another story. (You didn't
>> say which CPU you were talking about.)
>>
>> Gilles
>>

>> --

/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles at Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles at Gravier.org>
ICQ : *77488526*
<http://www.icq.com/whitepages/about_me.php?Uin=77488526> * || *MSN
Messenger : Gilles at Gravier.org <http://members.msn.com/Gilles@Gravier.org>*
*Skype : ggravier <callto://ggravier>* || *Y! : ggravier
<http://profiles.yahoo.com/ggravier> || AOL : gillesgravier
<aim:goim?screenname=gillesgravier>
PGP Key ID : *0x8DE6D026*
<http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x8DE6D026&op=index>
"Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun."