Handling multiply-satisfied dependencies in aptitude

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Fri Apr 24 14:35:27 UTC 2009

Hi,

Suppose I manually installed package A depending on packages B | C.
Currently this dependency is satisfied by package B, which is marked as
automatically installed. Now I want to install another package D, which
also depends on C. Then C is installed automatically as well. But if I
now remove D again, because I did not like it, C is not automatically
removed, because aptitude does not know that C was only pulled in for D
and not for B.

Is there a way to detect and handle this situation? Can I instruct
aptitude to show me a list of such "redundant" packages, so that I can
manually decide which one to keep?

Best,

   -Nikolaus