Jaunty still in Beta?

Thorny thorntreehome at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 11:38:58 UTC 2009

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 17:42:27 -0400, H.S. posted:

> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> For the last 3 or 4 Ubuntu releases, I've started early in the alpha
>>> stages, never re-installed and never needed too because of some bug
>>> that's prevented nominal usage.
>>>

>> Yes, Ubuntu has been great about updates and migration. I agree
>> completely. But the system is not _designed_ for that, and you will be
>> bitten some day.
>>

> Well, maybe Ubuntu is not (I am not sure, but I expect it to be though).
> But its parent, Debian, *is*. Counter examples to your rule above:
> Debian Testing and Unstable versions.

Debian distributions "testing" and "unstable" are not betas and alphas,
the Debian system is organized differently than the way many other distros
work with RCs. I know it easy to think of "unstable" as alpha and
"testing" as beta and "testing" is very similar to an RC beta as release
date gets close. The system is different, and, there are lots and lots of
troubles in Debian just after a release date when people have upgrade and
migration problems.