[OT] was Ubuntu has gone!

Thorny thorntreehome at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 10:59:16 UTC 2009

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:02:24 +1000, Res posted:

> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Thorny wrote:
>
>>> its been that way since day dot way back then...it'll never change.
>>>

>> That isn't true Res, in the old days there were fewer "newbies" than
>> "regulars" and lists and newsgroups "policed" themselves. People learned
>
> Not at all true, reputable lists have been moderated by REAL moderators
> since day dot, even back in the old fido days, but I suspect those who
> think they can tell others how to do things "their way" wail always
> disagree, its like spammers, they never see what they are doing as
> spamming. The self appointed wannabes also only selectively try police
> some of the CoC rules here, and then only  against some people.

Well Res, I think you and I already determined from a previous discussion
that I've been around longer than you. Of course, you may be selective by
saying anything I'm talking about isn't a "reputable" list.

I think most of the people who desire some organization here specifically
don't want to act as "net cops", thus they suggest and selectively suggest
a guideline or two at a time to a poster or two. You've got the perfect
argument, if they aren't 100% consistent then they're "selective", if
they are 100% consistent then they are called a net cop or worse.

[...]

>> How is that "childish". Adults in society have to follow laws and rules
>
> You are kidding me aren't you? its like a temper tantrum,  something I'd
> expect from a little kid, not grown adults, nor even teenagers to do. Do
> you refuse to help an elderly person who falls on the road when they
> were jay-walking, because jay-walking is an offence? (some of) you
> probably do, being so anally retentive.

It's only like a temper tantrum when it is like a temper tantrum. A
respectful suggestion is still a respectful suggestion. When it is given
with a desire to be helpful to the poster and the community over the long
run, it is, in my opinion, appropriate.

I might not refuse to help the fallen law breaker with their fall, but I
likely wouldn't help them jay-walk.

Since you like law enforcement analogies, consider the woman being beaten
by her man friend in public, should the bystanders wait for a moderator to
notice and stop the beating or should the community try and do something
about it? The actual answer here is call the cops and let them deal
with it. (IANAL) How would you feel about it if it was your daughter?