[OT] was Ubuntu has gone!

Roy Smith rasmith1959 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 10:32:04 UTC 2009

Thorny wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:13:49 +1000, Res posted:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>>
>>> (but not all) and most users do not trim their messages at all, while
>> My pet hate is those who don't trim, but I don't go after those who
>> don't do it, IMHO, top posting is no worse then those who bottom post,
>> especially those who bottom post 3 words, making you scroll down 5 pages
>> of crap to read those 3 words.
>>
>>> a few overtrim to the barely understandable, like they were in a IRC.
>> That is a danger, people when trimming often think the other person will
>> know what you mean, when you have omitted just a tad too much, so long
>> as there's enough there to the point of your comments it should be OK,
>> but I do know what you mean.
>>

> Of course, that's why some of us use clients to read the list that show
> the posts threaded and read them from first to last, rather than just the
> last post of a thread.
>

>>> It's a real mess, uncomfortable, really hard to follow and collaborate.
>> its been that way since day dot way back then...it'll never change.
>>

> That isn't true Res, in the old days there were fewer "newbies" than
> "regulars" and lists and newsgroups "policed" themselves. People learned
> to fit into a community's standards in order to get the community's help.
> This is similar to the old saying, "when in Rome, do as the Romans".
> Granted, I'm talking about the old days and what we have today is a result
> of an increase of new inexperienced users looking for help and some
> (perhaps many) list members who have an attitude that no one should tell
> them how to act. So, it's not that it'll never change Res, it already has,
> thus I think it could again. Or, at least shift some.

Not only that to compound the problem you have a certain software
company that releases a broken email program that doesn't follow net
standards.  Then they include this software in the operating system
that's installed on the vast majority of computers sold today.  Now some
newbie starts using this program and not being aware of email standards,
traditions and customs and they think that this is the way it's supposed
to be.  They'll think that since this big name company released the
software that this is the way it's supposed to work when in fact it's not.

--

Roy Smith
Ubuntu 9.04 AMD64 Jaunty Jackelope