Jaunty still in Beta?

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 22:24:54 UTC 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> That is wrong, many removed features still leave config files lying
> around, that will bite you when they are added in future versions if
> not purged.

er ... I again repeat, if a package finds a conf file already present,
it says so to the user and asks what to do with it. The user is given
multiple choices with helpful hints. Given this, I am not sure what you
are talking about. If your experience was otherwise, it was a bug (not
surprising in alpha or beta, and maybe not even in a stable release).
Perhaps a few clear examples from you might help.

But if a purging of a package leaves behind a conf file, that is a bug,
it is not supposed to happen (man apt-get or aptitude). And hence we
come back to the alphas and betas being more likely to be buggy.

> I'm not going to fight with you or convince you. If you want to update

I do think this as a fight. I consider this as a discussion with reasons
flowing back and forth with helpful examples.

> alpha-beta-RC-release then go for it, I do not administer your system.
> But do not think that you are following a safe upgrade path.

There is hardly anybody administering anybody else's system here. That
is not a requirement for this list's contributors to continue
participating so this is quite irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Finally, no updating (please note that upgrading in Ubuntu parlance is
taken to mean updating to a new release) is safe if done
unintelligently, even in LTS. Conversely, updating is quite safe if the
users knows what is being updated and is aware of the feedback from the
update manager.

ever having been read.