looking for netatalk install procedure

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 22:03:38 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Noah <admin2 at enabled.com> wrote:
>>> To the OP (in an attempt to get this thread back on track) - how's it going?
>> the netatalk installation is still failing :(
>
> Yes  -  but since it starts the daemon, I figured it was installed
> enough to at least try my other suggestions.

I know you didn't ask this (because you haven't gotten it working yet)
but once you DO get it working, file sharing will NOT work with a
recent version of Mac OS X because the Debian/Ubuntu package does not
support encrypted connections, which OS X now requires.

I'm not sure why you are getting an error on the start, but to get a
properly functional version of netatalk, you have to compile it
yourself. Here's one set of instructions:
http://blog.damontimm.com/how-to-install-netatalk-afp-on-ubuntu-with-encrypted-authentication/

Maybe a self-compiled version will work better... ?