Is There A Font Installer For Ubuntu?

Thorny thorntreehome at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 12:19:06 UTC 2009

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 12:14:00 +0100, Graham Todd posted:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:48:17 -0700
> NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Note: fontmatrix is only available for Intrepid & later.
>>   I'm still surprised, as often as this question comes up, that there
>> is no simple 'HowTo Install Fonts' in https://help.ubuntu.com/ or
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community (at least not that I can ever find).
>> You need to check:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TitleIndex#idxF and *then* you'll
>> find:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Fonts
>> Maybe the new "Google - Powered" search feature in the help pages needs
>> to be retuned...
>
> That's exactly the help and wiki pages I was looking for. Thanks NoOp!
>
> The links it gives to free (as in freedom) fonts are sorely needed, as is
> the method of installation, so should we flag this and ask to make it more
> accessible on the https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ pages? And who do we
> ask?

Have a look at this (you can find it at the bottom of the page you cite):
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WikiGuide

Here's a brief excerpt:

Contributing

This website is free for all to edit, and contributing is extremely easy.
All you need is an account for the website (see /Registration for
details). It is recommended that you read through this guide before
contributing.