Any changes to repository info once official 9.04 comes out?

Amedee Van Gasse (Ubuntu) amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Thu Apr 23 07:54:18 UTC 2009

On Thu, April 23, 2009 01:31, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Arch Willingham <arch at tuparks.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> Arch
>>

> Anyway you should read:
>

> http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904
>

> Specifically: - Upgrades from Alpha and Beta.

<quote>

Upgrades from beta may use LABEL= in /etc/fstab

Systems installed using Jaunty Alpha 5, Jaunty Alpha 6, or the Ubuntu 9.04
beta may use LABEL= syntax in /etc/fstab to identify file systems. This
may cause unexpected behaviour later if another disk (such as a USB drive)
is added later containing file systems with clashing labels. Unless you
are sure that this is what you intend, we recommend that you switch to
using universally unique identifiers (UUIDs) instead.

For example, if a file system is identified as LABEL=home in /etc/fstab,
you can find the UUID as follows:

blkid -o value -s UUID -l -t LABEL=home

You can then replace LABEL=home with UUID=output, where output is the
output of blkid.

Systems installed using the release candidate or final release of Ubuntu
9.04 do not have this problem.

</quote>

The usage of UUID or LABEL was discussed earlier on the list, I think
somewhere in the "MG" topic.
The release notes say: "Unless you are sure that this is what you intend"
Yes, I really intend to use LABEL. I am aware of the consequences and I
will deal with them myselves if I mess up. However I thank Ubuntu for the
kind reminder.

--
Amedee