Is There A Font Installer For Ubuntu?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 22 23:48:17 UTC 2009

On 04/22/2009 02:40 PM, Graham Todd wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 08:19:26 -0700 (PDT)
> Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Graham, you might want to check the output of:
>> aptitude show ttf-root-installer
>> as it give a clue of what the executable is and other info.  Always
>> good to use the show command to get info on the package.  Apt-cache
>> show even gives more detail than aptitude.  HTH. Leonard Chatagnier
>
> Hi Leonard,
>
> No matter how I tried I couldn't find out where ttf-root-installer was
> located, even though Synaptic showed me it was installed.  From the
> result of the command
>
> sudo apt-cache show ttf-root-installer
>
> I saw the package was used for downloading msttcorefonts and other
> Windows fonts perhaps; as I'd already got those, I decided not to
> bother.  I acheived the result I wanted by copying them directly
> into /usr/share/fonts/truetype/

Be sure to update the fonts cache after you do that:

sudo fc-cache -f -v

Ref:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/intrepid/en/man1/fc-cache.1.html

> As I get most of my fonts from http://www.1001freefonts.com to create
> posters, etc., I actually needed a font installer but could have done
> with more detail in viewing the fonts than the Specimen Font Prievewer
> in the repositories, but that didn't install fonts.

Unless you need the fonts system-wide (for all users), just create a
./fonts folder in your home directory and place all your added fonts
there. Applications will look there first & use/include those fonts in
addition to your /usr/share/fonts/ fonts.

Also see:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Fonts

> I must thank Mike Lee for suggesting FontMatrix.  The package does
> install fonts (it calls it "Importing" but it appears to install the
> font) but it is an excellent tool for viewing the fonts and glyphs.
> And its in the repositories as fontmatrix. Thank you, Mike!

Note: fontmatrix is only available for Intrepid & later.
  I'm still surprised, as often as this question comes up, that there is
no simple 'HowTo Install Fonts' in https://help.ubuntu.com/ or
https://help.ubuntu.com/community (at least not that I can ever find).
You need to check:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TitleIndex#idxF
and *then* you'll find:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Fonts
Maybe the new "Google - Powered" search feature in the help pages needs
to be retuned...