Is There A Font Installer For Ubuntu?

Graham Todd grahamtodd2 at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 22 21:40:55 UTC 2009

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 08:19:26 -0700 (PDT)
Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Graham, you might want to check the output of:
> aptitude show ttf-root-installer
> as it give a clue of what the executable is and other info.  Always
> good to use the show command to get info on the package.  Apt-cache
> show even gives more detail than aptitude.  HTH. Leonard Chatagnier

Hi Leonard,

No matter how I tried I couldn't find out where ttf-root-installer was
located, even though Synaptic showed me it was installed.  From the
result of the command

sudo apt-cache show ttf-root-installer

I saw the package was used for downloading msttcorefonts and other
Windows fonts perhaps; as I'd already got those, I decided not to
bother.  I acheived the result I wanted by copying them directly
into /usr/share/fonts/truetype/

As I get most of my fonts from http://www.1001freefonts.com to create
posters, etc., I actually needed a font installer but could have done
with more detail in viewing the fonts than the Specimen Font Prievewer
in the repositories, but that didn't install fonts.

I must thank Mike Lee for suggesting FontMatrix.  The package does
install fonts (it calls it "Importing" but it appears to install the
font) but it is an excellent tool for viewing the fonts and glyphs.
And its in the repositories as fontmatrix. Thank you, Mike!

--

Graham Todd