How to force automatic change of password?

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 20:13:06 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 1:15 AM, Jonathan D. Armendariz
<jarmenda at armendariz.me> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had a question that hopefully I'll be able to articulate successfully.
> At work the policy is that automatically we have to change out
> login/network passwords every 60 days or so. Having poked around a bit
> here (9.04) I failed to see a way to set this up in such a manner on my
> box. I'm wondering if this is possible and if so, how? Any suggestions
> would certainly be helpful!

The others have provided info on how to do so.  Just beware one gotcha
you might run into.

If you change a password using passwd, it does not update the Gnome
login keyring password.
It will still be set to the old value.  I don't know if changing your
password thru one of the GUI tools updates the keyring password or
not.

Fixing it is simple using the Keyring app (in preferences) but it's
confusing until you know what's going on.

Brian

PS I've never forced a time limit before - I wonder how the user is
presented with the issue if he runs out of time and only ever uses the
GUI or <shudder> auto login.... hmmmm