networking problem

Alain Muls alain.muls at telenet.be
Wed Apr 22 19:44:39 UTC 2009

Hi

I have a double problem related to network settings in different environments.

Problem 1:
At work I have a couple of nfs mounted directories. When I work at home, these
are not available. If by accident I list the directory (whatever the program I
use) in which I put these network mounted dirs the automount daemon scans for
their presence and it takes 1 timeout per directory before I can continue to
work.

Problem 2:
I also have different printer setups and cups each times tries to find all
printers. Again it takes timeouts before the printer dialog popups. I made a
script for setting the printers.conf so that only the current available printers
are in the file.

It is awkward and I would like to have a solution so that these timeouts either
do not occur or are minimal.

Tx/Alain