OT: posting style Was: Re: PS3 controller Sixais

Cybe R. Wizard cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 21 16:57:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 08:30:28 -0600
Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:

> I feel bad for people who come to mailing lists looking for
> troubleshooting help and rather than help get pointless and annoying
> "how you should format your emails" messages. You don't know how to
> help him, nor do you know anything about his controller. Just admit
> that and move on until someone with more experience than you comes
> along and can actually provide help.

There are rules (merely suggestions, yes, but following them will get
you good help. Not following them will make it harder on everyone) for
posting messages here.  Those rules should be followed if one wishes to
get good help in a timely manner.  That is what so many people are and
have been trying to tell MG.
Primary among those rules is to not cause needless downloading of bits
(mostly by those who have metered access) such as by posting HTML (as
you did) and to follow the thread instead of posting several messages
under differing subjects with the same content (which MG did repeatedly
and continues to do).
Secondarily, it would be nice (and it is part of the rules) if one
would bottom post (which you didn't) so that continuity of messages is
maintained.
It is also 'suggested' that one stay on topic (which you didn't and I
am currently not doing) and not let threads stray all over the place.
Plus, it is always a good idea if a poster with a problem posts relevant
information about the problem and what has been done to try to solve
it /before/ asking for help here. (if nothing has been done, say so)

It has been my experience that the posters with the most experience and
the greatest ability to help will not complain much about your posting
style, they will just fail to help you, at all, ever.  I have
even seen several run screaming into the night never to return
because of dim-witted posting styles and the inability of
these posters to learn.  Therefore, it is actually /helpful/ for others
to post these messages indicating just /how/ to post in order to get the
most help from this list.

The bad feelings you get are not germaine to anyone but you.

I don't know anything about his controller but I certainly /do/ know
how to help him (and you) if you will only listen and learn.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Registered Linux user # 126326
Registered Ubuntu User # 2136