Ubuntu has gone!

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Tue Apr 21 15:12:31 UTC 2009

Juan De Mola wrote:

> To update my system. At home I don't have Internet and not all the
> things are 113 kb to be downloaded with GPRS.
>
> This is not the first time I've done a install/update with deb files
> in stable status. But this time a apt leaded the deletion of most
> important files including the kernel. I think that the way the
> dependences are checked must be redesigned.

Ack!  You essentially overrode Ubuntu's design, and TOLD apt to remove
everything (it didn't do it without you saying "y" to the prompt, or
telling it to assume "yes" in the first place), and because you've done
something dumb (no dumber than some of the things I've done, but _still_
dumb) you think we need to fix the dependency checking?

You _can't_ mix Debian and Ubuntu and expect everything to "Just Work".  You
can do it, but you had better watch _very_ carefully whenever you try to
update software.
--
derek