change from apt-get to aptitude

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Tue Apr 21 15:18:50 UTC 2009

Yoram Hekma wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 02:50:24PM +0100, habtool wrote:
>> On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 15:34 +0200, Kogler Johannes wrote:
>> >
>> > As yet I've always been upgrading our Ubuntu systems with apt-get. Due
>> > to recommandations to use aptitude instead of apt-get I would like to
>> > update the systems by using the aptitude command for the future.
>> >
>> > When I try to get aptitude's intended actions by "aptitude -sfy
>> > install", I see that aptitude would delete 23 packages. These packages

I trust you don't _usually_ use the -y option.
>> You could explicitly install those packages, I think that will solve
>> this issue:
>>
>> sudo type aptitude install package-names-it-wants-to-autoremove
>>
>> You could also look into debfoster

I'm fairly sure that isn't very compatible with aptitude - but I haven't
used it _since_ I started using aptitude, many years ago now, so I may
misremember.

> In the curses interface you could also press "m" to mark the package
> as manual.

# sudo aptitude markauto PACKAGE

also there's the &M suffix that can be used with any other aptitude command:

# sudo aptitude -f install PACKAGE&M
--
derek