Missing hard drive space

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 20 23:12:17 UTC 2009

So far as I know neither Linux nor any other operating system keeps
track of USB slots, particularly through a reboot. (Windows has its
means if identifying drives - probably the same UUID trick Linux
uses.)

It looks like usb2 is fussed up. Hopefully it can be fixed. But, we
do nor really know which drive is which if you've been plugging and
unplugging them.

That is why you want to double check with "fdisk" or always plug then
in in the same order. Then you will know what you have. That is why
you REALLY want a LABEL or UUID to identify the drive. Trying to
label the drive MIGHT damage the NTFS partition. That's why I lean
to the UUID "stuff". (It has its own problems, which is why I prefer
LABEL for drives I am mucking around with. And I almost always use
ext3 fs for simplicty's sake. When I plug in an XP drive it's generally
for the purpose of making a "dd" disk image backup of a partition or
the whole drive.)

{^_^}