Fstab Config for External Hard Drives?

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 20 23:04:49 UTC 2009

From: "MG" <m.s0128532 at gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, 2009/April/20 15:45

> is this right with 2s at the end to boot or should the last numbers be
> 0???:
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> #  -- This file has been automaticly generated by ntfs-config --
> #
>
> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> # Entry for /dev/sda1 :
> UUID=d053ecd0-1482-4cfc-8b34-1d821a41f843 / ext3
> relatime,errors=remount-ro
> 0 1
> # Entry for /dev/sda5 :
> UUID=8c6a2356-9c6b-4ef1-9b65-8e6edbf76120 none swap sw 0 0
> /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
> none       /mnt/ramfs      tmpfs      defaults  0 0
> # Entry for /dev/sdc1 :
> /dev/sdc1       /media/External/usb1      vfat      rw,hard,intr  2 2
> # Entry for /dev/sdb1 :
> /dev/sdb1       /media/External/usb2      ntfs-3g      rw,hard,intr  2 2
> # Entry for /dev/sdd1 :
> /dev/sdd1       /media/External/usb3      ntfs-3g      rw,hard,intr  2 2

OK, you hit the thing I got wrong. (I've been trying to remember where
and why - was it a flash back to SVR4 perhaps?) Make those "2 2"'s into
"0 0"'s for starters.

Then make VERY sure that the drives are in the right order. That is
something you cannot do with "/dev/sdb1" type entries. There is no
guarantee that USB drives will be found in the correct order every
time.

That is why I suggested one drive at a time. Make one work with the
UUID. Then copy that procedure to get the second drive up and running.
Work your way to the finish in small steps. Then you know what broke
if something didn't work.

{^_^}