default boot option

Preston Kutzner shizzlecash at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 21:44:38 UTC 2009

On Apr 20, 2009, at 3:36 PM, lazer1 wrote:

> when I boot my computer, I am presented with a boot option screen
>

> eg various Ubuntu options,
>
> a Windows option and a Fedora Core option,
>

> how can I change the default option?

edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file:

Find the line that starts with 'default' and change the number to
match the boot definition you want to be the default.  The boot
definitions are near the bottom of the file and each definition starts
with the word 'title'.  The list is 0-based, so your first definition
is actually '0', so you would use 'default 0'.

Under Ubuntu, once you've changed your menu.lst file, you'll need to
run a 'sudo update-grub' to make the changes stick.

HTH