Java and timezone issues!

Knute Johnson knute2009 at knutejohnson.com
Mon Apr 20 15:36:46 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Knute Johnson wrote:
>
>> Somebody posted on comp.lang.java the other day about problems with
>> Ubuntu and Java timezones not reflecting daylight savings times
>> accurately.  I don't want to rehash that discussion but the question was
>> asked here the other day, what update messes with the /etc/localtime
>> file.  It is tzdata that came in today's updates.
>
> No, it's not "tzdata that came in today's updates", it's "tzdata".  It's
> done it for _years_.
>
>> It rewrites the link
>> at /etc/localtime that points to /usr/share/zoneinfo/??? to be a file.
>> This stops Java from figuring out the timezone correctly.
>
> And really, it doesn't.  As more than one of us, has pointed out, Java works
> for us.  It's a deeper problem than just being a symlink.

Derek:

Will you try my applet at

http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/clock.html

and see if it gives you the correct time?  Do you have
/etc/sysconfig/clock or any of the other places that Java looks for
timezone info?  Which version of Java are you running?

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge
to rule."

   H.L. Mencken