[OT to jdow] - was Re: MISSING HARD DRIVE SPACE

Thorny thorntreehome at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 12:38:03 UTC 2009

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 14:25:21 -0700, jdow posted:

> From: "Thorny" <thorntreehome at gmail.com> Sent: Saturday, 2009/April/18
> 07:44
> [...]
>> In case you are new to asking for help on a list, I will explain a bit
>> about the comments that poster marc made about your post.
>>
>> Your posting style is such that many of the most helpful posters here
>> will just ignore your question and that will be unproductive in getting
>> you useful help efficiently.
>>
>> All caps is though of as shouting here in cyberspace and it has an
>> effect similar to walking into a room and shouting for people to help
>> you, in short, it is annoying to many people reading the posts.
>>
>> There is a fairly good writeup of posting style at wikipedia:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
>>
>> There is an explanation of mailing list etiquette on Ubuntu mailing
>> lists at:
>>
>> There is this brief description of how to ask for help effectively.
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToGetHelp#How%20to%20ask%20for%20help
>>
>> If you have more time, also read the link provided there, it goes into
>> much more detail about how to ask questions that get good answers:
>>
>> It's very hard to give any kind of reasonable answer to the "questions"
>> you've asked here other than to say a fresh install of Ubuntu is not
>> going to use anywhere near the kind of "lost" space you're trying to
>> track down.
>>
>> Tell us more about your system, is this the drive you've installed
>> Ubuntu on? If so does it boot up correctly? Did you do any
>> partitioning? What commands are you using to try and "find" the space.
>> Help us to help you.
>
> Nonsense.
>
> You are a human. Humans are adaptable. If you're too lazy to adapt you
> have proven yourself sub-human. If you show this kind of strident lack
> of courtesy you're proving you are less than sub-human. You must be a
> mere machine with a defective parser.
>
> Since it appears Ubuntu appeals to sub-humans or machines I don't have
> to investigate it, after all.
>
> Grow up, little boy.
>
> {^_^}

The advice given, and given respectfully, is both appropriate and in
keeping with the standards of this list (community) and, if followed,
would probably get the poster the best help from the most knowledgeable
people here as well as helping the list to be more efficient.

I don't have a clue why my advice sets you off so much or why you try to
flame me for it jdow.

You are correct, you don't have to investigate anything you don't want to.
But, consider, I am just a user on this list, I don't represent Ubuntu,
don't blame Ubuntu for something you don't like about my actions.