Are ATI graphics cards any good?

J. Limon jlimon at eml.cc
Mon Apr 20 01:03:17 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:46:21AM +0100, Ben Edwards wrote:
> I have been a nvida user for years and thought I would give ATI a try.
>  I got myself a 'ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3450' and so
> far I am totally underwhelmed.  After upgrading to Ubuntu 9.04 (To
> ensure I using latest drivers) I had to ssh in and just about managed
> to get things working  using the binary drivers (the standard config
> gave me no picture).  Even with these I cant get video out working.
>
> >From looking on the net ATI on Linux looks  a bit flaky.  I'me not
> saying I did not have to mess about a bit with nvidia but I did manage
> to get video out.  Should I sling the card onto ebay and go back to
> nvidia or have I missed something.
>
> I also got a box with 'ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200 Graphics'
> built into the motherboard and I have to turn effects off to get
> stable video playback.  This box is running 8.10.
>
> So ive tried ATI twice and both times not had a very positive experience.
>
> Any ideas?
> Ben

Generally speaking, that's like asking the question, "Is Emacs a good editor?".

The answer is most likely going to be based on opinion. However, I will try to be as objective as possible when I say that nvidia is pretty universally better supported under Linux. There has been a lot of progress in the open source driver, my laptop's ATi chip is now supported for instance. But, I would generally recommend using nvidia over ATi.

--
"If a problem can be solved there is no use worrying about it. If it can't be solved, worrying will do no good."