MISSING HARD DRIVE SPACE

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 19 21:25:21 UTC 2009

From: "Thorny" <thorntreehome at gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, 2009/April/18 07:44

> On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 13:18:45 +0100, MG posted:
>
>> I seem to have lost 500 gigs of space I think 300 is from a hard drive
>> that needs to be formatted how much is Ubuntu with all the sound extras
>> (synths etc) likely to take up?????
>>

>>> why do I get no accurate freespace readings? why does 1 drive seem to
>>> have shrunk to 3 Gig????? Thx
>>>[...]
>
> In case you are new to asking for help on a list, I will explain a bit
> about the comments that poster marc made about your post.
>
> Your posting style is such that many of the most helpful posters here will
> just ignore your question and that will be unproductive in getting you
> useful help efficiently.
>
> All caps is though of as shouting here in cyberspace and it has an effect
> similar to walking into a room and shouting for people to help you, in
> short, it is annoying to many people reading the posts.
>
> There is a fairly good writeup of posting style at wikipedia:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
>
> There is an explanation of mailing list etiquette on Ubuntu mailing lists
> at:
>
> There is this brief description of how to ask for help effectively.
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToGetHelp#How%20to%20ask%20for%20help
>
> If you have more time, also read the link provided there, it goes into
> much more detail about how to ask questions that get good answers:
>
> It's very hard to give any kind of reasonable answer to the "questions"
> you've asked here other than to say a fresh install of Ubuntu is not going
> to use anywhere near the kind of "lost" space you're trying to track down.
>
> Tell us more about your system, is this the drive you've installed Ubuntu
> on? If so does it boot up correctly? Did you do any partitioning? What
> commands are you using to try and "find" the space. Help us to help you.

Nonsense.

You are a human. Humans are adaptable. If you're too lazy to adapt you
have proven yourself sub-human. If you show this kind of strident lack
of courtesy you're proving you are less than sub-human. You must be a
mere machine with a defective parser.

Since it appears Ubuntu appeals to sub-humans or machines I don't have to
investigate it, after all.

Grow up, little boy.

{^_^}