Nokia N70 sync over USB Cable with Ubuntu 8.10

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Sun Apr 19 14:34:50 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 09:46:53AM +0530, siddartha sikdar wrote:
>    Has anyone tried syncing their N70 using USB cables (CA53 or DKU2) with
>    Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit?
>
>    I have tried Kmobile tools (KDE), gnokii and wammu without any success
>    except in the case of the first which showed me the phone's signal
>    strength and charge status and nothing else i.e. sms, call history,
>    addressbook.

Nokia phones use syncMl for synchronization.  As far as I know there
are no straightforward "out of the box" syncMl synchronization tools
for Linux.

The easiest way to synchronize a Nokia phone with a Linux system is
via an external syncMl server, the easiest/simplest/best for Nokia is
http://scheduleworld.com (there is also myfunambol.com but that's not
so well customized for Nokia).  You synchronize your Nokia with
scheduleWorld and then you also synchronize (for example) Evolution
with scheduleWorld.

What I *actually* want (and I think many other people want too) is to
synchronize my Nokia phone directly with a desktop application (in the
way that Palm PDAs can be synchronized) but there is no Linux software
to do this and there doesn't seem to be anyone interested in
developing it either.

Currently I synchronize my Nokia E71 with Outlook (spit!) running in a
Windows XP guest on my Linux box.

--
Chris Green